- 1 Key takeaways: Does coffee with coconut oil break a fast?
- 2 How to make bulletproof coffee
- 3 Can you make bulletproof coffee with coconut oil?
- 4 Can you drink bulletproof coffee while fasting?
- 5 Coconut oil in coffee for weight loss
- 6 Does coconut oil stop autophagy?
- 7 Conclusion: Coconut oil in coffee during fasting
- 8 Lose weight with fasting
Last Updated on January 31, 2024Listen to this article:
Key takeaways: Does coffee with coconut oil break a fast?
- Adding coconut oil to coffee, known as “bulletproof coffee,” is popular among intermittent fasters.
- Coconut oil in coffee can break a fast, but a teaspoon is generally acceptable without disrupting fasting benefits.
- Bulletproof coffee with coconut oil aids in feeling fuller, improving metabolism, digestion, and maintaining ketosis, making it suitable for ketogenic diets.
How to make bulletproof coffee
The practice of enriching coffee with coconut oil has gained traction alongside the rise in intermittent fasting. This trend transforms regular black coffee into what’s famously termed “bulletproof coffee,” offering a more satiating experience and a unique taste.
Besides coconut oil, you can also add butter, ghee, or olive oil as a form of bulletproof coffee.
Can you make bulletproof coffee with coconut oil?
Yes, you can make bulletproof coffee with coconut oil. It is a popular choice for its sweet, tropical flavor, enhancing the coffee’s taste significantly.
Can you drink bulletproof coffee while fasting?
A critical question for intermittent fasters is: “Will coconut oil break my fast?” When it comes to fasting, any addition of fats, including coconut oil or butter, technically breaks the fast.
Coconut oil in coffee for weight loss
Does coconut oil stop autophagy?
While fasting, consuming coconut oil, which provides dietary fat and calories, can potentially reduce the body’s reliance on autophagy, a cell-recycling process usually triggered by nutrient scarcity. While coconut oil doesn’t directly stop autophagy, its energy contribution may lessen the need for this process, especially during fasting or caloric restriction.
So if you’re doing intermittent fasting mainly for its autophagy effect, it’s better to avoid coconut oil in coffee while fasting. But if you’re fasting for its weight loss benefits, you can add one teaspoon of coconut oil to your coffee while fasting.
Conclusion: Coconut oil in coffee during fasting
Coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil is a highly regarded option for those who practice intermittent fasting. It not only helps with satiety but also contributes to weight loss. So, does coffee with coconut oil break a fast? While it can, a modest amount is generally acceptable and can be included in your fasting routine without disrupting its benefits.