The world is generally made up of two types of people: tea drinkers and coffee lovers. Both beverages have significant health benefits, but should you reach for a cup of coffee or tea to lose weight if you’re looking to shed a few pounds?
The coffee vs tea for weight loss debate is often discussed within the health and fitness community. Both drinks contain caffeine, which is known to stimulate a fast metabolism and promote weight loss. There are so many kinds of tea and coffee on the market that it can be hard to know which is best for your waistline. So, here’s a look at how to use coffee and tea for weight loss, the best types to buy, and when is a good time to drink them to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
Do tea and coffee help you lose weight?
Coffee and tea are two of the world’s most well-loved beverages and can benefit your diet so long as you enjoy them without sugar, milk, or cream.
Some claim drinking coffee and tea can cause dramatic weight loss, but little evidence supports this. Drinking tea and coffee can be healthy because they have caffeine and chemicals called flavonoids which can boost your metabolism and help your body burn more calories. In addition, these flavonoids can also help to minimize bloating and inflammation and even reduce the risk of developing chronic conditions like heart disease and diabetes.
Which tea is the best for weight loss?
There are many different types of tea on the market, and some are more effective than others for weight loss. Most zero-calorie or unsweetened teas can be enjoyed at any time as part of a healthy eating or intermittent fasting plan. If you’re drinking tea for weight loss, consider these varieties:
- Green tea is considered the most effective tea for weight loss as it contains high levels of flavonoids, which help speed up your metabolism. Studies have shown that drinking green tea regularly can help you achieve a lower body mass index (BMI).
- Black tea is one of the world’s most popular varieties, and it contains antioxidants and flavonoids that can support weight loss and management.
- Oolong tea is a traditional, fragrant Chinese tea that evidence suggests can stimulate your metabolism and promote the burning of body fat after meals.
- White tea is recognized for its catechin content and fat-burning qualities. It is one of the least processed of all teas, so an excellent addition to your diet.
- Hibiscus tea is a common alternative to green tea and contains antioxidants and flavonoids that can help to regulate your metabolism. Hibiscus tea is best drunk 30 minutes before meals for weight loss.
Best time to drink tea for weight loss
All the teas mentioned are considered safe to drink throughout the day. However, avoid caffeinated tea and those with guarana content before bed, as these can stimulate brain function and affect your sleeping pattern.
If you are drinking tea for weight loss, a cup of green or black tea with a slice of lemon first thing in the morning is suggested, as this helps flush out toxins and reduce water retention. Other teas like hibiscus and oolong teas are best consumed before meals to aid digestion.
How to drink coffee for weight loss
Coffee is the go-to beverage for many, and provided you drink it without calorie-loaded sweeteners, milk, or syrups, studies have shown it can aid weight loss and even increase your metabolism at rest. Suppose you are drinking coffee for weight loss. In that case, black coffee is best because it contains caffeine, flavonoids, and other antioxidants that can improve your digestive health and support your overall well-being.
Best time to drink coffee for weight loss
Most coffee contains caffeine, which is known to affect sleep, so it’s generally best to drink coffee in the morning or early afternoon. If you first wake up and reach for the coffee, try and wait until after breakfast, as experts at the University of Bath believe drinking coffee before your first meal can create a spike in blood sugar levels, which can hinder weight loss. The same study also suggested that coffee before exercise can promote fat burn and be very effective.
Although drinking tea and coffee alone won’t miraculously melt away belly fat, a few cups a day at optimum times could help you drop a few pounds. Both beverages have health benefits, and when combined with regular exercise and a healthy eating plan like intermittent fasting, they are a great addition to your daily regimen.
Last Updated on May 8, 2023