Apple cider (also known as cloudy apple juice) has always been a popular remedy for both its nutritious and medicinal purposes. And its popularity is justified, as it has antioxidant properties.
In addition to being super healthy, apple cider is also very easy to prepare at home with only a few ingredients.
If you’d like to get the benefits of apple cider, take a look at our homemade apple cider recipe.
Apple Cider Ingredients
You can use all kinds of apples according to your own taste when preparing your apple cider. You can choose either sweet apples or sour ones. Or you can blend the two types. 10 large apples will be enough.
You’ll need enough water to cover the apples.
¾ cup of white or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of allspice
How to Make Apple Cider
- Quarter the apples and remove the cores, but don’t remove the skins.
- Place the apples, water, sugar, and spices into a large stock pot.
- Boil the mixture uncovered for one hour. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for two more hours.
- Strain the mixture at least twice. Remove any solids and pour the liquid into a glass container.
- Serve warm.
How to Store Apple Cider
You can store your homemade apple cider in a glass jar in the refrigerator for up to one week after it has completely cooled. Make sure the jar has a tightly-fitting lid. Freezing the cider is another option for storing your apple cider for a longer time.
Apple Cider Benefits
The polyphenols in apple cider provide health benefits. That’s why consuming apple cider may:
- Lower inflammation,
- Relieve constipation,
- Reduce the risk of certain cancers and cardiovascular diseases,
- Help you hydrate your body.
To sum up
Although apple cider is a nutritional remedy with a number of benefits, bear in mind that you should consume it in moderation. While preparing your apple cider, you can add other flavors into the mixture according to your own taste, such as oranges. As a bonus, your homemade apple cider will make your home smell like fall!